Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes And A Sweetheart Neckline
Kelly Tomlinson is the writer and photographer behind Texas Type A Mom. She lives in Austin with her husband of 13 years, two precocious daughters, and English Bulldog, Dude. When she’s not working (and even when she is), Kelly’s wearing her Karina Audrey in Ruby Dots while baking sweet treats, on beach vacations, and watching football. You can find her on Twitter, and Pinterest.
Like a lot of Americans, I have a problem with portion control. I still love sweets, almost as much as my sweetheart neckline dresses, so the perfect compromise for me is cupcakes! I don’t indulge often, but when there’s a holiday they’re the perfect bite-sized portion of saccharine sweet ecstasy.
I’m not a self professed foodie, but I do fancy myself a pretty mean baker. My baking plans were recently thrown for a loop when I went to make a dessert for my mom and she requested something special to deal with her new-found gluten sensitivity.
Knowing that my mom is a fan of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, I decided to try my hand with making some simple swaps like traditional all-purpose flour for a gluten-free mix. Going in I was hopeful but skeptical about how this recipe would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised at how light and flavorful these Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting turned out!
Wear a sweetheart neckline to accompany these Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes…
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups coconut oil, warmed to room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups carrots, shredded
2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour mix
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly spray two cupcake pans or line with cupcake liners with cooking spray.
3. Cream together sugar and eggs until smooth. Then stir in coconut oil and vanilla.
4. Mix the dry ingredients together until blended, then combine the dry mix with the wet mix.
5. Fold in shredded carrots to mix.
6. Evenly distribute batter among cupcake tins and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool while preparing frosting.
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
4 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. clear vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. Slowly beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
2. Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until desired consistency, then add in vanilla and milk.
3. Fold shredded coconut into frosting and top cupcakes.
What’s your favorite cupcake? If this sweet recipe inspired your next sweetheart neckline dress, you can find one at our online store!