Perfect Pairing: A Classic Dress with Classic Chocolate Cupcakes
Kelly Tomlinson is the writer and photographer behind Texas Type A Mom. She lives in Austin with her husband of 13 years, two precocious daughters, and English Bulldog, Dude. When she’s not working (and even when she is), Kelly’s wearing her Karina Audrey in Ruby Dots while baking sweet treats, on beach vacations, and watching football. You can find her on Twitter, and Pinterest.
There’s something about classic items that feels so familiar and comforting. Those things that are always alluring, enticing, and most of all timeless. A person’s interpretation of the classics is deeply personal and universal at the same time. It can relate to anything but for me it translates most to fashion and food.
I’ve never fancied myself on the cutting edge or much of a risk taker, so it’s no surprise that the items in my closet are all classic items. No category does this apply to more than to my dresses. A classic dress, like the Karina Ruby in Navy & White Polka Dot, that I can wear season after season (with the right accessories, of course), year after year and can always feel confident and beautiful in. From church to shopping to play dates, choosing a classic style is guaranteed to work for your body anywhere you go!
As far as the classic foods go, in no other area do I want a classic than my desserts. Sure the latest “it” flavors may be enticing (hello pumpkin spice), the classics never go away or get old. A classic remains despite the trends. My go to dessert for any season or occasion is Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting. What’s not to love about these cupcakes?
Throw on your classic dress to enjoy these Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting!
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temperature
4 tbsp. milk
4 tsp. clear vanilla extract (you can use regular vanilla extract but the color will be off)
4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Then line a muffin tin with liners or lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one by one until well incorporated. Then stir in vanilla and milk. Add the dry mixture and beat until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are cooling, beat the butter until creamy using a handheld mixer. Add milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Adjust the consistency of your frosting by adding additional milk 1 tbsp at a time.
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy!
Are you looking for your next classic dress? Karina has a whole store full! Check out the Karina Classics Collection at our online store!