Knee-Length Dresses are Perfect for a Date Night In
Kelly Tomlinson is the writer and photographer behind Texas Type A Mom. She lives in Austin with her husband of 13 years, two precocious daughters, and English Bulldog, Dude. When she’s not working (and even when she is), Kelly’s wearing one of her knee-length dresses, the Karina Audrey while baking sweet treats, on beach vacations, and watching football. You can find her on Twitter, and Pinterest.
With a cold front on the horizon, I’m definitely taking this into account as I plan our week. I’m not willing to put date night in jeopardy because of questionable temperatures and road conditions, so not only does my meal plan need to include our family’s meals for the week it also needs to include a meal for our date night in.
Last summer we split half of a cow with friends and I’ve been doing a lot more cooking with grass fed beef. Some of my experiments have been flops but others, where I’ve added new ingredients to family favorites have gone over really well. It ends up creating an entirely new flavor and dining experience and on the successes has created an even more impressive final product than it ever was before.
My husband is usually the chili master in my house, but sometimes when there’s traffic or he can’t get to it in time I have to step in. After almost 14 years of marriage, I’ve watched him make more pots of chili than I can count.
So, when it’s my time to cook I know how to make a solid pot of beef chili but it’s still me making his recipe. My husband’s chili. But when I add in some extra ingredients, I make it my own and it’s a whole new bowl of beef chili we’re eating.
Beef Chili with Bacon
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lg. red onion, chopped
- 1 lg. green pepper, chopped
- 5 cans dark red kidney beans with liquid
- 1 can black beans with liquid
- 12 oz. beer
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chiles
- 1 pkg. chili seasoning mix
- Fry bacon over medium heat until crispy.
- Add ground beef to pan and cook halfway.
- Then add onions and peppers to the meat mix and continue cooking until meat is browned and onions are translucent.
- Add kidney beans, black beans, beer, diced tomatoes and chiles, and chili seasoning to the pot and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer until desired consistency.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and green onions. Serve with cornbread.
Bacon and beef together in a hearty chili is a man pleasing meal. To make the date night in dining experience even more enjoyable, I love to channel my inner 1950s housewife by donning a knee-length dress and sassy heels! I feel more confident and feminine wearing this v-neck dress in such a demure, pin dot pattern and my husband appreciates the extra effort I’ve put into making our date night at home special.
What’s your favorite way to change up a family favorite recipe and make it your own?